Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Year 2000

Me and your aunt lived up North.  Your daddy lived down south and was a senior in high school.  He became super rebellious.  I didn't want to go to his graduation, because he had been such an idiot and a jerk.  He pissed away his senior year.  My dad was not in very good health so he sent Jason money to buy himself a car.  Your daddy bought a 4 wheel drive Jeep.  It ate up gas and was nothing but a pain.  He worked at Firestone, got fired for forgetting to put oil in a car...and it burned out the engine...
Finallly, your dad moved up North with me and your aunt.  He decided to talk to recruiters.  My dad and I were not getting along well at all.  I felt your dad was driving a wedge deeper into mine and my dad's relationship.
On Thanksgiving, we went up to Ohio to spend it with our friend's up there, and while we were there, my dad died.  Back then, we didn't have cell phones, so we didn't find out until we got back home at 0400 on Monday morning when I listened to the answer machine. I refused to go to the funeral, because of the hatred I had in my heart for my dad.  But I wanted your daddy and aunt to go.  Your daddy was 18 and your aunt was 16.
When your daddy came home, he went down and enlisted in the Marine Corps.  We went to Ohio for Christmas vacation and drove back Christmas Day to take him to the Recruiting Station for him to head off to boot camp.  I was so proud of him, but so much had happened over the last 1.5 years...